Montana's law specifies the medical conditions for which physicians are authorized to make cannabis recommendations (MCA 50-46-102):
"Debilitating medical condition" means:
- cancer, glaucoma, or positive status for human immunodeficiency virus, acquired immune deficiency syndrome, or the treatment of these conditions;
- a chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces one or more of the following:
- cachexia or wasting syndrome;
- severe or chronic pain;
- severe nausea;
- seizures, including but not limited to seizures caused by epilepsy; or
- severe or persistent muscle spasms, including but not limited to spasms caused by multiple sclerosis or Crohn's disease; or
- any other medical condition or treatment for a medical condition adopted by the department by rule.
You need a physician to sign the state health department's cannabis recommendation form, which is available on the Internet at:
FILE an APPLICATION
A patient must send his/her application form (and fee) to the state health department along with the signed physician recommendation. The application fee is $50, and the application form is available on the Internet.
The same form can be used to register a caregiver (each registered patient is allowed to have one). Links to a copy of Montana's law, and to Frequently Asked Questions (and answers). A financial assistance program exists to help patients for whom the application fee is prohibitive. Please contact PFU for more information.